Saturday, January 12, 2013

Running the Race...


Written: Friday, January 11, 2012

So this morning, Maman Ashley, Seraphin and I went running. We went about 7 miles or so, and had a great time chatting, sweating and laughing. I honestly hate running. If it didn’t keep me in shape or give me time with great running partners to catch up…I can’t say I’d ever do it. The runs here in Benin are so different from home. The roads are so uneven and bumpy, cars and motos are passing inches away from you leaving exhaust blowing in your tired lungs, and scenery that only God could design. It’s wonderful and I praise God for giving me the physical ability to do it.

Today while on the path, I was thinking about the road. How many times in this “run of life” has the path been SO bumpy, winding, uneven and confusing? Yet, how many times, just like the scenery today, has God always been there and ran right beside us? I couldn’t help but smile when I thought about God being with us today.  My ipod died and I felt like that was God’s way of saying “spend time with me.” Pictures would never do the palm trees, villages, and people that we passed by today justice. I definitely don’t deserve this chapter in my “run of life” but I sure am thankful for it.

After our run, we all showered up and headed to Pobe to get Ashley’s internet worked on. It’s so funny to me how related things can be here and in America. We go to the MTN store (their version of Verizon) and it’s set up very similar. Yes, there is no carpet and high-end technology, but there was AC and computer sales people set up just like Verizon. When we left Pobo, we headed back home to grab a quick sandwich and head to the center.

While at the center, Alice, Adjoke, Aldophe, and Rosaline played some card games. Talk about intense! It’s a riot playing with these little ones! Can’t wait for Ry to join in on the fun! During our game session, a couple brought their baby Grace to the center. She had been seen by Jon, Ashley and Jillian a few weeks ago and was back with some information. Baby Grace is VERY malnourished. She’s 8 months old and looks no older than about 2 months. She’s very tiny and has a large tumor growing from her tailbone that is about the size of two oranges next to one another. It was much bigger than I anticipated. Last time when they came to the center for help, Jon and Ashley gave them some formula and means to try and get the baby’s weight and health up to par. They then directed them to the hospital. When the couple got to the hospital, they told them due to her malnutrition, they would not be able to do any sort of surgery because she would not heal. Today they came back to tell Jon and Ashley the news. They got them some more formula and asked me to pray for her. I held that sweet baby in my arms and begged God for a miracle. I think of the babies my family has and how SICK I would be if anything happened to them, and truly felt no different for sweet little Grace. I deep down think her name is Grace because God says in His Word “His grace is sufficient.” God, may your Grace be sufficient for Grace….

After they left, Ash, Alice, Viviane, Adjoke and Rosaline headed back to the house to work on some things. Ashley and I worked on the new Tree of Life USA website, while the girls helped us out with some laundry.  I also baked a cake (that Ash decorated) for the December birthdays. It was only Clement, so it was his night to shine! We all got a lot accomplished and were thankful for a break to do some things that needed to be done. When we got to the center, we played some rounds of Skip-Bo, and got the drums out for the party! The kids LOVE to sing and dance and are so talented. The best part about it though, is they sing worship songs, raise their hands and praise the King. I stood back and watched for a few minutes. I’ve seen it many times, but this time I tried hard to let it sink deep into me. There have been many nights where at 10pm I probably wasn’t doing something that was honoring to the Lord, and here I was in this moment humbled by the opportunity to be in His presence on my Friday evening. I am blessed to be a part of this family and be pushed in my Christian walk not only by the parents, but even more so, the children.


After we danced a bit and sang, we all circled around to pray. Whew! These kids know how to pray! It was a wonderful time, followed by Maman Ashley reading a Bible story about John the Baptist. We headed home with a few of the girls (Alice, Adjoke, Viviane, and Delphine), put in Sandlot and had a girl’s night! It was great! I love spending time with the kids and when they come over its even more one on one time. Then we all headed to bed, and got a good night sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment