Monday, January 21, 2013

A day I won't forget...


Since I’m so behind…. Lets back track…

Saturday: This day was such a fun and enjoyable day! Not only was I SO excited to get to pick Ry up from the airport, but also got to spend the day in the city with Jon and Ash. The morning started out with Ash and I getting a good work out in, packing up some lunch, and heading to the city (Cotonou) with Jon. We ran to the grocery store and then went to this extremely ritzy hotel. I kept joking that we were on a honeymoon! It was amazing and such a nice getaway. Once in a while I think something like that is fine, but the fact that people sit and swim in luxury while there are starving children across the street is a hard thing to swallow. I felt guilty, but tried to enjoy the rest and relaxation God blessed us with. The sunset and it was time!!! My heart started to race like the first time I drove to Michigan to meet Ry. We heard the plane land, and then the waiting began. In Africa, you NEVER know how long it will be before the passengers come out. Some lose their luggage, others get searched, etc. So I anxiously waited with my “Looking for my Ry” sign in hopes that it wouldn’t take two hours for him to walk out. As my sign slowing made it’s way to my ankles (from being tired of holding it), I heard Ash say “he’s coming!” I was SO excited! I couldn’t help but just keep saying “Thank you God…Thank you for this miracle! Only YOU could make this happen!” I have known my whole life that I have a deep love for missions and God’s orphaned children, but it wasn’t until 2008 that I ached deeply for my future love to join in this experience with me. After 5 years, this was my moment! The one I had been praying for. He walked out, and I ran through the crowd to greet him. I couldn’t stop my tears of joy! HE WAS HERE!! We were so happy to see him, and have his see this place we all love.

We got settled in to a nearby hotel and talked all about his flights here, and things going on with the children. We made some yummy American snacks that he had brought and got a fun game of Phase 10 going. The night was filled with laughter and happiness, and this girl went to bed with one big smile on her face! J

Sunday: After a great nights’ rest, we all got ready to head to a fun place called Bab’s Dock, and boy was it fun! It was like out of a magazine! Sidenote: Please don’t think I come to Africa and vacation, nor do Jon and Ashley. Ha this was my first time ever and their third time ever after living here for three years. I like to think of it as a break from responsibility. All parents need time to refresh and relax, and we are SO blessed to have had such a fun couple to enjoy this day with.

On to Bab’s dock…Bab’s dock is this lady Dominique’s back yard oasis. It backs up to a lake and you have to go on a riverboat to get there. The boat takes you through this forest of trees and is seriously beautiful! I thought the drive their of lined up palm trees was gorgeous, but had no idea this was in store! When we arrived at Bab’s dock, Dominique came to welcome us to her oasis. There were donkeys and monkeys, a tiki bar, hammocks, lounge chairs, kayaks, palm trees and the most beautiful sun glistening lake all around. Wow! We are in Africa still?! It was so nice and relaxing. What a great way for Ryan to unwind after a crazy week at work and a super long flight. The four of us posted up in the sunlight, and enjoyed the gorgeous scenary.  We read books, fed the monkeys, pet the donkeys, kayaked, talked, and laughed about so much. It was a BLAST! I could not be more thankful for the friendship I have with the Barchus’. As the sunset, we began to pack up and make our way back to Sakete. The drive is a long bumpy 2.5 hours, but I knew what was at the end of it. Thirty kids who helped change my life.

I had waited so long for this moment! Ryan would now have the chance to hold the faces of the kids I love, to learn their names and stories, and to feel the love of my African family. As we pulled up to the center, the kids started running after the car. They opened the door and threw their little arms around Ryan and welcomed him like family! It melted my heart. The smile on his face was nothing I can put in to words. He was beaming. This was a moment I truly won’t ever forget. I can’t fully express my thankful heart. This was my prayer being answered right before my eyes. We showed Ryan around the Center and introduced him to all the kids.  The night ended with lots of love and hugs, and we headed back to Jon and Ashley’s to shower up and turn in for a good nights sleep.

Monday (today): We all slept well and woke up this morning to a hot sunny day! Ash and I got a good run in, showered and have spend our day here at the Center. Some of the boys, Ry and Jon got pretty dirty in a fun game of football, Ryan rode the moto on the African terrain, and saw a deeper glimpse into the lives of these awesome children. I sit here in sweat (gross, I know) but wouldn’t trade it for anything. I love this place, and I love the people who have deepened my faith, taught me about genuine love, and have shown me what it means to serve. I am nowhere near extraordinary. I am no one special, but I love God’s people. I love missions, and my heart aches to follow His will. I fail…daily, but am thankful for his new mercies, and look forward to where he leads. All the praise and honor goes to Him and I praise God for using helpless vessels like me to see His world in a new light.

Love Love,

Tata EE

PS. Jordan…thanks for allowing me to come here. Thanks for sacrificing your finances to send me to my second home. I am incredibly grateful for you and tear up thinking about how special your contribution to my trip was. A day hasn’t passed where I haven’t wished you were here. Looking forward to our future trip together. I love you much. -E

No comments:

Post a Comment